We have introduced a mild hyperbaric oxygen chamber to what we now offer you at SBR Sport.
What is Hyperbaric Therapy?
Hyperbaric therapy consists of a person breathing high doses of oxygen in a hyperbaric or pressurized environment. By breathing enriched oxygen in a hyperbaric chamber, the availability of oxygen in the blood plasma is increased, thus generating a variety of beneficial physiological effects, as it allows more oxygen to reach the brain, cartilage, bones, and tissues. This is particularly beneficial to areas in the body that are restricted due to swelling or infection, or other causes of poor circulation. The chamber takes you up to 1.4 ATM and thus is classified as a mild hyperbaric chamber.
What to expect.
You book an hour long session. Multiple sessions are usually required in order to see positive results, these can vary from daily to weekly sessions, depending on the indication for treatment.
During a session, you will sit or lie down in the chamber. You can read, scan your cell phone or work on your laptop while in the chamber.
The air pressure will be gradually increased to 1.4 ATMs. You will wear a mask that you get to keep for your next session. Oxygen at 90% pure passes through the mask.
MHBOT therapy is not as yet covered by Medical Aids in South Africa.
What are the benefits of Hyperbaric Chambers?
Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT) is a medical treatment which speeds up the healing process in the body. Tissues in the body require an adequate oxygen supply for normal functioning, and even more to recover from injury, illness or overtraining. mHBOT increases the amount of oxygen the blood can carry, which raises or temporarily restores normal levels of blood gases and tissue function to promote healing and to fight infection.
So, mHBOT does the following:
- Increases oxygenation to the body’s tissues
- Increases blood flow and circulation
- Boosts white blood cell counts
- Enhances the effectiveness of antibiotics
- Reduces swelling and pain
- Increases capillary density, which in turn has an effect on fitness
- Increases oxygenation in bone structures which promotes bone healing.
The treatment has been shown to help the following conditions:
- Air or Gas Embolism
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Compartment Syndrome/Crush Injury/Other Traumatic Ischemias
- Decompression Sickness (Bends)
- Diabetic and Selected Wounds
- Exceptional Blood Loss (Anemia)
- Gas Gangrene
- Intracranial Abscess
- Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infection
- Osteoradionecrosis and Radiation Tissue Damage
- Osteomyelitis (Refractory)
- Skin Grafts and (Compromised) Flaps
- Thermal Burns
- Cerebral Palsy
- Lyme Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Recovery from Plastic Surgery
- Sports Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- There is a growing body of evidence that HBOT can augment standard cancer treatments.
Give us a call should you want to book a session, we have some opening specials.